Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Place Called Here


I've heard of Cecelia Ahern's best-selling [PS, I love you](It has been made into a movie as well), but don't have the urge to take it off the shelves everytime I pass by it in bookshop. Perhaps i would never read any of her books in my life, only if i didn't found this pink-colored cover book lying on my desk on the first day at home. A quick glance over the cover and my eyes fixed upon a sentence :Ever wondered where the lost things go? It arouse my interest to read through the story, and I truly enjoyed reading it. The author indeed has a good imagination and amazing mind. She brings the readers into a world of missing people and missing things with a way of life that at first seems so hard to imagine but eventually you don’t want to leave.

Here's the description of [A Place Called Here] from Cecelia Ahern official site.

"Since Sandy Shortt’s childhood classmate disappeared twenty years ago, Sandy has been obsessed with missing things. Finding becomes her goal- whether it’s the sock that vanished in the washing machine, the car keys she misplaced or the graver issue of finding the people who vanish from their lives. Sandy dedicates her life to finding these missing people, offering devastated families a flicker of hope. Jack Ruttle is one of those desperate people. It’s been a year since his brother Donal vanished into thin air. Thinking Sandy Shortt could well be the answer to his prayers, he embarks on a quest to find her. But when Sandy goes missing too, she stumbles upon the place - and people - she’s been looking for all her life. A world away from her loved ones and the home she ran from for so long, Sandy soon resorts to her old habit again, searching. Though this time, she is desperately trying to find her way home…"

The story goes by two sides, one of which Sandy struggles for a way out from "Here" with flashbacks from her life before she goes missing, another carried by Jack who tries to find her in the real world. The two sides of the story run well along side each other, enable the readers to put together the small amounts of information for a larger fantastic story. I found it hard to put the book down at all until the story unfolded before my eyes and i was amazed at the way things turned out. Perhaps I shall include the infamous [PS, I love you] in my must-get book list for the next book exhibition.

2 comments:

  1. I heard a friend of mine saying Cecelia Ahern's The Gift is nice also... =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well then i will mark it down :)

    ReplyDelete